Friday 15 January 2010

POULTER'S MEASURE

YOU MAY HEAR ME RECITE MY POETRY ON YOUTUBE UNDER THE NAME ICHTHYSCHIRO
Comments on this blog maybe made to strandbg@aol.comThomas Wyatt(1503-42) used over 70 different stanza forms,(see my blog thomaswyatt-poet.blogspot.com) but is especially known for the poulter's measure form(an alexandrine ,12 syllables,alternating with a fourteener 14 syllables,often used for serious statements or for burlesque.

WYATT

Wyatt's Poulters Measure form can be read in the following couplet poem of his

From thought to thought,from hill to hill,love doth me lead

Clean contrary from restful life ,these common paths I tread


and in his 100 line canzoni the first line of which is

So feeble is the thread that doth the burden stay


OTHER POETS

Henry Howard,Earl of Surrey's "Complaint of the Absence of her lover, being upon the sea" (1547) :

Good ladies, ye that have your pleasure in exile
Step in your foot, come take a place, and mourn with me awhile,

 other blogs to be found by clicking my profile

also can be found

in my strand guides and poetic forms series on kindle

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.